Friday, April 19, 2013

Spicy Shirataki Noodles

So my husband loves noodles and I'm always trying to find a way to make it new and interesting.  I think he would only eat noodles if he had the choice and I would blow my head off with boredom if I didn't change it up once in a while. 

For those of you that aren't familiar with them (which I'm pretty sure many are not because I wasn't) Shirataki Noodles have some evidence that glucomannan, when tested as a powdered supplement, can play a role in blood sugar control, as well as improve cholesterol control and weight loss. It also contributes to fiber intake and can be a substitute for starchy noodles.  The most common found in the USA are Tofu Shirataki Noodles which are great because they answer that pesky irritating question asked to vegans about your protein intake. 

There are a million different ways that these noodles can be served and here is one of the ways that I tried and really enjoyed.
 
 
Ingredients: 

  • 5 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons of lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 8oz pack of Shirataki Noodles cooked as directed one package
  • 1/2 basil leaves torn
Whisk together soy sauce, lime, brown sugar and rice vinegar.  Set aside. 

Heat oil in pan or wok over medium to high heat.  Add in garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 1 minute.  Add in onion and pepper; stir fry for five minutes or until onion is almost clear. 

Add in noodles and soy sauce mixture.  Simmer for five minutes.

remove from heat and toss with basil before serving. 

0 comments: